*This page is designed for referral institutions only. If you are from SCCA, UWMC, CHRMC, or VA Hospitals in the Seattle area, please disregard the information below.
If you already have an account with us, please download the Busulfan Electronic Order Form to your computer and follow its instructions to order busulfan testing. (You need Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0 or above; click here for a free download.) If you are a new client, please contact us for account set-up.
Advance notice is required for all sample shipments:
- Tuesday to Saturday arrival: At least 48 hours in advance. Please call or email us to provide package tracking information.
- Lab closes on Sundays and Mondays.
- Holidays: Lab closes on all observed holidays and their very next days. Please call (206) 606-7389 for details.
Sample collection and processing
- Draw minimum 1 mL (Pediatric) to 4 mL (Adult) of blood into 4-mL Sodium Heparin green top blood tubes.
- Busulfan degrades quickly at room temperature. Each sample should be kept in wet ice slurry or refrigerated at all time. Centrifuge them as soon as possible at 4 °C. Separate the plasma from each sample and transfer it to individual 4mL plastic tubes. Immediately freeze these plasma samples at -20 °C.
- All samples have to be labeled with patient name, Medical Record #, date and actual clock time of the blood draw. Two unique identifiers and clock times are REQUIRED or samples can be rejected.
- Samples must be shipped on a minimum of 3 kg of dry ice using an overnight carrier. Samples that arrived thawed will not be analyzed.
- The REQUISITION SHEET for particular regimen, IV Q6 hr or test dose, IV Q24 hr, and Oral Q6 hr is provided below. It is required to be sent with the samples. Patient identifiers must be matched with those on the collected samples mentioned above. Also, our requisition serves as physician’s order and must be signed by the attending physician or designee/caregiver according to the College American Pathologists (CAP) requirement.
- We usually release pharmacokinetics results on the same day as receipt of the samples. Average sample run-time is approximately 4 to 6 hours from receiving the package.
- Sample processing is prioritized by time zone differences or next dose due time to maximize the advantage of dose adjustments.
- All results must be verbally delivered to attending physician, pharmacist, or caregiver who is a certified MD or PharmD. No exceptions.
- After the verbal report, a hardcopy can be faxed to designated number(s). Please click here for an example of our facsimile report.
- The current CPT code for busulfan monitoring is 80299.
When setting up a new account with us for busulfan analysis, please have the following information ready and call (206) 606-7389.
- Institution information: Name of the institution, address, and general contact numbers.
- Billing contact information: Name, title, address with mail stop, phone number and fax number.
- Caller information: Name, phone number, and fax number.
Please allow 3 to 4 days for a new account to be properly set up. Patient samples can be sent in before the set up process is completed. Please ask for sample acceptance.